Sign up to receive email updates
Thompson Announces Opening of Service Academy Application Period
Washington, D.C. – U.S. Representative Glenn ‘GT’ Thompson, R-Howard, today announced October 1, 2012, as the submission deadline for high school seniors to apply for nomination for acceptance into one of the four military service academies for 2013. Completed applications must be submitted to Thompson’s congressional district office in Bellefonte, Pa.
“For anyone interested in pursuing acceptance to one of our nation’s service academies, I can’t emphasize enough the importance of preparing early,” said Rep. Thompson. “I encourage students to begin familiarizing with the application process and amassing the required materials as we approach this year’s deadline, which is October 1, 2012.”
Thompson’s website, www.thompson.house.gov, under the “Services” tab, has detailed information on the application process, including the application itself and related materials.
The basic requirements for applying for a nomination are:
- The candidate must be at least 17 years old but not have passed his or her 23rd birthday;
- Must be a U.S. citizen at time of application;
- Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents;
- Must reside within the boundaries of the 5th Congressional District of Pennsylvania;
- Must be able to meet the medical, physical and academic requirements set forth by the academies;
- Must submit a congressional nomination application, including all required information.
- Note: Students must also apply directly to an academy by initially filing a pre-candidate application.
The four academies that accept nominations through U.S. government representatives are:
- U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York;
- U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland;
- U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs, Colorado;
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York.
- Note: The U.S. Coast Guard Academy at New London, Connecticut, accepts candidates based on its own testing criteria.
Should potential applicants have further questions, they can phone Thompson’s Bellefonte office at (814) 353-0215.